Bookish Matters

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.

—Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Summer Reading

This summer I will be in a far distant land cut off from the world.*

Of course, your first response to that statement was "But how will you get books, Esme?"

I will tell you.

For one thing, they have a library. But I don't know what books they have there, other than a Mrs. Pollifax on which a bird once pooped while I was reading it. I will enjoy exploring this library, but I will also bring books. Preferably, books I already own or can borrow from Katie.

Summer Reading List!

100 Years of Solitude by GGM
Haiku
P.G. Wodehouse (I have a collection of three of his novels)
Finding Beauty in a Broken World by Terry Tempest Williams
American Indian myths and legends
For the Time Being by Annie Dillard
Walden's Pond

If I don't finish my spring reading list (and chances are I won't, seeing how busy I am with school) it will carry over into the summer.

Spring Reading List

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan
Elizabeth Gaskell (I crave Gaskell in the spring)
Emily Dickinson
Line of Beauty
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Robert Frost
A biography of Emily Dickinson
A biography of Jane Austen


*Holden Village, WA

2 comments:

  1. Did I ever tell you about that one time I tied to read a bio of Jane Austen and it ended really poorly? No? Well, one time when I was like 14 or something I tried to read a bio of Jane Austen. And it ended poorly. Turns out that I wasn't too interested in reading about her childhood. It probably doesn't get good until she gets older and angsty, you know? ("It" being her life, of course.)

    And what would a bio of Emily say? "She had a great childhood but then she got all eccentric and locked herself up in a room. The end." Ahahaha... I am cruel.

    Seriously, though, spinsters are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was indeed two questions on the Holden application that i nearly missed. Thank you dear sister.

    ReplyDelete