Bookish Matters

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.

—Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Friday, April 23, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies

It's 7:30 AM. I have an essay, a rough draft of the big you-are-about-to-graduate paper, and a presentation due that day. I am baking giant vegan chocolate chip cookies for my meditation class. "Ah, Esme," I think to myself, "you are such a good person. Your meditation class is lucky."

It's 5:30 PM. The essay, the paper, and the presentation have been turned in or presented. I'm waiting for my meditation class to come over for a potluck so we can mindfully enjoy chocolate chip cookies.

"I will just make a fruit and cheese plate for them," I think. "I will just bring the fruit and cheese plate out to the balcony and begin Will Grayson, Will Grayson while waiting for the meditators to come over."

An hour later, fruit and cheese eaten, book and sunshine enjoyed, I decide no one is showing up. I remember I have an entire plate of chocolate chip cookies to myself. Ah, yes. Life is good.


THERE. ARE YOU HAPPY, KATHRYN HARTMAN? I'M READING WILL GRAYSON, WILL GRAYSON INSTEAD OF DOING HOMEWORK AND MEDITATING.

1 comment:

  1. I just read this, and though I am slightly late in commenting, YES, I AM QUITE PLEASED. There is nothing better than sunshine, chocolate, a John Green book, and lots of homework to NOT DO.

    Well, sunshine, chocolate and The X Files might come close...

    ReplyDelete