Bookish Matters

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.

—Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Grad School

In August, I am going to grad school at the University of Idaho. I'm getting an MFA in creative writing with a focus in non-fiction.

I'm really excited. This woman from UI, Kim, keeps emailing telling me how she thinks my writing is great, and what the weather in Idaho is like, and how the group of non-fic students next year is really strong. And she got me an out-of-state fee waiver. Kim is so friendly and welcoming, I can't help but be excited.

I love that the MFA program encourages us to "cross-pollinate" among genres. My focus will be non-fic, but I'll get to study poetry and fiction and publishing. I refuse to be monogamous when it comes to genre.

My only concern is with the city of Moscow, ID itself. But getting out of my protected Bellingham bubble can only be good for me.


Hello from sunny Moscow!
-Kim Barnes; author; professor of fiction, non-fiction, and memoir

1 comment: