Bookish Matters

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.

—Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

AWP

A generalish sort of update.

1. My conference paper on Helen Maria Williams has been accepted. So I'd better turn this paper into something brilliant before I present it.

2. Michael Dickman. Remember the guy with the cute photograph? Apparently everyone has heard of him, except for me until I picked up his book two days ago. He's one of those hipster writers you either love, or hate because everyone else loves him. (I, not aware of such things, enjoyed his poetry but did not think it was the best thing ever.) Dickman was at AWP, where a number of my cohorts were last week. AWP is the Association of Writers & Writing Programs, and they have an annual conference that everybody (except for me, apparently) goes to. One of my cohorts said that Michael Dickman was getting "a lot of play with the ladies" at AWP.

3. Here is an anecdote about AWP: I believe that at the AWP conferences everyone tends to stay in the same hotel. The year the conference was held in Kansas City the hotel bar was closed for renovations. The professors and writers rioted until the hotel was forced to open the bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment