Bookish Matters

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.

—Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sundry Sundays: Jeeves and Wooster

Have you ever read P.G. Wodehouse? He is wonderful. I forgot to mention on my Spring Reads post that his novel Leave It to Psmith is a funny light-hearted book to read this time of year.

While I had the mumps I took to watching Jeeves and Wooster, the series from the early nineties based on Wodehouse's stories of socialite and wastrel Bertie Wooster and his valet, the subtle and brilliant Jeeves. Hugh Laurie plays Wooster and Stephen Fry is Jeeves. The show portrays the hijinks Wooster and his friends get up to in 1915 Britain, and Jeeves must always come to the rescue with some clever plan. The show gets funnier the more I watch it (I'm now on season three). I highly recommend both the books and show.

Watch this clip of Jeeves, who has strong opinions on what gentleman should and should not wear:



I also wanted to show a couple clips from the episode "The Full House" where Jeeves encounters American women, but unfortunately no YouTuber has yet made a neat video of Jeeves and the ladies. If you're inclined, watch the below videos at the minutes I indicate to see these clips. If you start from the beginning you can watch the opening credits, which I rank up there with Masterpiece Theater's Edward Gory opening.

Watch this from 7:30 to 8:14 :


Watch this one from 0:15 to 0:44:

1 comment:

  1. I just taught "Carry On, Jeeves" to my itty bitty literature class. They all loved it. I loved it. Yayyyy!

    ReplyDelete