Bookish Matters

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.

—Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

AWP, Here I Come!

Tomorrow morning (unfortunately early) I embark for Chicago and the AWP conference! I have been pouring over maps, Lonely Planet, and more, trying to figure out what to do in Chicago. Check out this map. I will be mostly in Central Chicago. This is where the conference is and my hotel. This is also where many of the museums are, and cool things like Millenium Park and the bean. Most everything there will in walking distance. But there are a few places in South Chicago I hope to visit. And some in North Chicago I'm determined to go to (Bleeding Heart Bakery with vegan options! Lincoln Park Conservatory!) I'll have to brave public transportation for such things.

The conference itself has a billion panels and readings to choose from, at least (at least!) six soirees and receptions every night. Speakers include Margaret Atwood, Mark Doty, Lyn Hejinian, Jessa Crispin, CD Wright, Patricia Henley, Stephen Elliott, Eileen Myles.

2 comments:

  1. JESSA CRISPIN IS GOING TO BE THERE TOO??? You have to go see her speak!! She does Bookslut and I would die to go so you must go and report back to me omg.

    Also, soirees? Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I was so excited when I saw she was going to be there! Unfortunately she (and most the people I've heard of) isn't doing a panel topic I'm interested in. May go see her just because, but there are so many good options to choose from! Maybe I'll rub elbows with her at a soiree???

    ReplyDelete