Bookish Matters

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.

—Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

On Esme's Bookshelf
















Books I finished in November:

Vanishing Point: Not a Memoir by Ander Monson.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling.

The Women by Hilton Als.

PoMoSexuals: Challenging Assumptions about Gender and Sexuality, edited by Carol Queen and Lawrence Schimel, preface by Kate Bornstein. (Did you see Bornstein's tattoo?)

The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie.

On the Down Low: A Journey into the Lives of "Straight" Black Men Who Sleep with Men by J.L. King.

Those Who Hunt the Night by Barbara Hambly.

Amphigorey Also by Edward Gorey.

These days, when I look at the list of books I've finished reading, I don't feel very accomplished. But of course this list doesn't reflect the tons of reading I've been doing. The essays by fellow MFAs, parts of books for my rhetoric class, parts of books for my research paper, children's picture books, even webcomics.

Speaking of which, if you've never read any Kate Beaton, she's fantastic. Especially if you like literature and history. But even if you don't like literature and history, she's hilarious. Maybe in an upcoming post I'll make a list of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment