Bookish Matters

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.

—Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Narrative Chronology

I continue in my quest to find the optimal order in which to read the Sherlock Holmes stories. I thought that the list at the bottom of this page was the order in which the stories took place. So I was going through this list, and I began on the "The Reigate Squires," but immediately Watson was referring to events that I knew nothing of. Big sigh. So I'm just reading The Adventures straight through. I think I need to do more research into all of this. For instance, were the short stories published individually before they were gathered up and published as The Adventures?

Here's the list in (hopefully) narrative chronology:
A Study in Scarlet
"The Speckled Band"
"The Beryl Coronet"
"The Resident Patient"
"The Reigate Squires"
The Valley of Fear
"The Noble Bachelor"
"The Yellow Face"
"The Greek Interpreter"
The Sign of Four
"Silver Blaze"
"The Cardboard Box"
"A Scandal in Bohemia"
"The Man with the Twisted Lip"
"A Case of Identity"
"The Blue Carbuncle"
"The Five Orange Pips"
"The Boscombe Valley Mystery
"The Stockbroker's Clerk"
"The Naval Treaty"
"The Engineer's Thumb"
The Hound of the Baskervilles
"The Crooked Man"
"The Red-Headed League"
"The Copper Beeches"
"The Dying Detective"
"The Final Problem"
"The Empty House"
"The Second Stain"
"The Golden Pince-Nez"
"The Norwood Builder"
"Wisteria Lodge"
"The Three Students"
"The Solitary Cyclist"
"Black Peter"
"The Bruce Partington Plane"
"The Veiled Lodger"
"The Sussex Vampire"
"The Missing Three-Quarter"
"The Abbey Grange"
"The Devil's Foot"
"The Dancing Men"
"The Retired Colourman"
"Charles Augustus Milverton"
"The Six Napoleons"
"The Priory School"
"Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax"
"Thor Bridge"
"Shoscombe Old Place"
"The Three Garridebs"
"The Three Gables"
"The Illustrious Client"
"The Red Circle"
"The Blanched Soldier"
"The Mazarin Stone"
"The Creeping Man"
"The Lion's Mane"
"His Last Bow"

There are at least two stories missing from that list which my source has not told me anything about.

1 comment:

  1. Will and I were just watching an old Soviet version of Sherlock Holmes and it was RIDICULOUS. Extremely "this is what Russians think of the English." I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete