Bookish Matters

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.

—Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Monday, August 22, 2011

On Esme's Bookshelf

Books I read in May and June (pre-Spain)

Children of the Abbey; A Tale by Regina Maria Roche. Technically I read volume 3 and parts of volumes 1, 2, and 4. Accidents happen.
Only for Women.
The Monk by Matthew Lewis. Oh, the scandal!
There's Cake in My Future by Kim Gruenenfelder. A thoroughly amusing book.
Sexing the Cherry by Jeannette Winterson. Winterson is a good old chap. You should read her. Do it. Seriously, this lady has skills.
The Ladies of Grace Adieu by Susanna Clarke. Excellent, as one would expect from the author of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.


Books I read in June, July, and August (in Spain and France)

A Palm for Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman. Mrs. Pollifax is as amusing as ever.
Scandalous Innocent by Juliet Landon. I'll post more on this later. Wait, I never read the last few pages. I kept saving them for the right moment...

No comments:

Post a Comment