Bookish Matters

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.

—Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Friday, July 22, 2011

The Nomad Life

We wake up in the morning needing to walk. I built extra time into my schedule so I could take days off in the big cities, but every day I wake up needing to move, to go a bit further, a new city, a new bed. We take breaks at bars to eat and use the bathroom, but they´re short, just long enough to drink a cerveza, because we have to keep moving. If we get to our day´s destination too early in the day we´ll keep going, because we have to move. A few days ago, after walking 25 k to a small town, I found a small path off the town and followed it up through the trees, not knowing where it would take me, because the path wanted me to take it, because I needed to think about something and walking helps me think, because I had to keep moving. It led up and up, the path getting smaller, steeper and steeper, until I found myself in the ruins of a castle at the top of a quite-tall hill where I could see out across the town and the valley.

Every step is a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment