Bookish Matters

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.

—Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Sunday, September 5, 2010

On Esme's Bookshelf

Books I finished reading in July

Titus Alone by Mervyn Peake, the third of the Gormenghast novels. Not as good as the first two in the series.

Is that all I finished reading in July? Really? I read a short story by Angela Carter, I started Persuasion, I started The Wizard, I read from my meditation books. OK, I guess Titus Alone was all I finished.


Books I finished reading in August

The Wizard by Gene Wolfe, the second of The Wizard Knight. These two books were not all they were crapped up to be. Oh no, they weren't.

Persuasion
by A.S. Byatt. Wonderful.

The Discovery
by K.A. Applegate. The 20th book in the Animorphs series. I actually read most of this a year ago, and then while moving out of my apartment I picked it up and read the last chapter before bed because I didn't want to start anything.

The Threat
by K.A. Applegate. The 21st book in the Animorphs series. Finishing The Discovery got me back in the Animorphs mode. I think they're my version of comfort food.

The Solution by K.A. Applegate. The 22nd book in the Animorphs series.

Reality Hunger: A Manifesto by David Shields. Review to come.

The Pretender by K.A. Applegate. The 23rd book in the Animorphs series.

At this point I regretted having left my Animorphs collection at my parents' house when I moved to Idaho. All outta Animorphs, and the library won't let me check out books.


Question: What's your literary version of comfort food?

No comments:

Post a Comment