Bookish Matters

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.

—Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Saturday, July 17, 2010

On Esme's Bookshelf

Books I Read in June

A Great Deliverance by Elizabeth George. The first in the Inspector Lynley series.

The Life of Orgyan Chokyi, written by herself and translated by Kurtis R. Schaeffer.

The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst.

Middlemarch by George Eliot.

The Knight by Gene Wolfe, the first in the Wizard Knight duo.

Quite a few children's picture books. This summer I'm taking care of 0-3 year olds, which means the children's books I have been reading are often simplistic and I often have to read the same ones day after day. One of my three-year-olds has one of the books memorized: "Hello Babar! Eat the cake. Hello Babar! Water the flowers..." Here at Holden, the children's program as well as the building it's in are called Narnia. We call the 0-3 kids Trumpkins, the 4-6 kids Caspians, and the 7-10 kids Aslans. I am head of the Trumpkins.

1 comment:

  1. Esme I was head of the Trumpkins when I worked at Narnia!

    ReplyDelete